6.07.2010

True Story

Once upon a time...
A girl was having a crazy busy Sunday.
She stayed up super late the day before and got up ridiculously early.
She almost made it to church on time.
She went out to lunch at Qdoba with her mom and kids. Her mom paid. :)
She "ran" into ARC (thrift store) to look for dishes/picture frames (more on that to come!).
She went home. Prepared for a birthday party/baby shower.
She went to birthday party. Sweated like crazy. Felt a little odd.
She dropped her husband and son back home.
She went to a baby shower.
She left the baby shower. Called her husband. Asked what he wanted for dinner.
She decided to pick up Long John Silver's. She almost never goes there. It's out of the way of her house, pretty expensive as far as fast food goes and, let's face it, kind of like a heart-attack-in-a-box.
She pulled over in the parking lot to quiet her crying baby. Baby wouldn't be quieted.
She decided to drive home (maybe 10 minutes?) and deal with the baby there.
She stopped at a stoplight on the way.
SOMEONE DROVE STRAIGHT INTO HER VAN. Not on the side. Not a little bit. DEAD ON.
She wasn't even looking...which is okay...remember, she was stopped?
She checked that her older daughter was okay...she was.
She got out and took the baby out of her car seat - baby is crying, crying, crying.
The man next to her at the stoplight pulls his car to the side of the road and calls 911.
She can't find her phone anywhere (it went flying...).
Finally finds it. Calls her husband.
He stops what he's doing. Puts on shoes (no socks! ew! but sweet:)). Puts their son into a backpack carrier. Hops on his bike. Rides down to the accident. Marriage is so many things - but having someone drop everything and come running (riding...kind of like a knight:)) is a wonderful thing.
She gives her baby to her husband and the baby stops crying...finally.
The end. (Not really...but I'm done.)

---

There are nice people left in the world. A lot of them.
A woman drove up right after the accident and saw me holding a screaming Libby and trying to deal with the police, an EMT and a firefighter, find my insurance, talk to Charlie, and breathe. She pulled her car over. Came over and took Libby. I know you all are thinking - is Stacia insane? I'm not. I know she was a Christian. I could feel her praying for me when she put her hand on my arm. She wrapped Libby in her blanket and spent the next five minutes talking to her, singing to her, loving on her. Libby screamed the whole time. I took Libby back and she hugged me before she left. So, so, so nice.

Another woman...who lived at the house we wrecked in front of...came home just after the accident and was asking if we needed drinks. She's like, "I have cokes, water..." I thought that was so nice.

The man who called 911. He stayed for the whole thing. He wrote all of his information down and gave it to me. He picked up Will's bike after Will got there and threw it down.

---

As I said...I don't really know what happened. The girl driving just misjudged I guess. She had a learner's permit. She's 21. She was NOT drunk or anything like that. They were very apologetic. She kept saying, "Baby, okay? Baby, okay?" because Libby was crying. They have insurance. Someone is coming to look at the van Wednesday. It held up remarkably well. I really couldn't believe it...the car the other people were in was really smashed up and had to be towed. It really was just an accident. And everyone is okay. And the police officer didn't write us a ticket for not having the current proof of insurance card.
P.S. This is my 100th post.

No comments:

Post a Comment